It could be devastating when a loved one betrays you. Your emotions can range from anger, hurt, disappointment and unfortunately at times self blame. However the number one thing you should know is that it is never your fault. The way others treat you has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them. There is nothing you could have done for them to behave differently. Don’t beat yourself up for not seeing the signs.
1. Allow yourself some time to just feel all the emotions and let it all out. If you have to cry do it. Also name all your emotions (anger, sadness, insecurity , fear) and try to see why you feel these emotions.
2. Try to examine the betrayal. Ask yourself is this something you can move on from, did this person hurt you intentionally. Do you need to cut ties with this person due to this betrayal. While you are examining the betrayal, give yourself some time to think about how you want to move forward.
3. Take some time to process all your emotions. It will take sometime to get over the initial shock of the betrayal and every day that passes it will get less and less.
4. Come up with a plan to heal and recover. It might be a change of scenery , talking to someone about it. Going away with loved ones. Do whatever you need to do, to heal from the hurt.
5. Put all the energy on bettering yourself. (Go to the gym, pray, do yoga, eat healthy, connect with friends and family)
6. Talk about the betrayal to a close friend or family member. Sometimes our friends and loved ones can give you an insight on how they got over a betrayal and what worked for them.
7. Resist the urge to retaliate. Some people want to go and seek revenge on those that wronged them. However you will be doing a disservice to yourself and your healing process. Revenge never solved anything , it just creates more problems. Let it go and let God take care of it . There is Karma for a reason.
8. Just know that the time will help with the healing process. Each day, the pain will lessen. Always keep in mind that you will be stronger and wiser from this betrayal .